Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Teaching Philosophy



After being a teaching assistant in Boston College's Earth and Environmental Science department for three years I developed a dynamic teaching style based on empathy and curiosity that I believe is adequate to teach young college students. To me teaching is about establishing a personal connection, expose facts, and encourage reasoning. To teach the science of geophysics I start with understanding what my students personal goals and objectives are (what are their goals and motivations?). Then, I connect with my students by selecting industry problems that tap on their objectives while explaining the necessary tools to solve them (tools usually defined with math and physics). Finally, I guide them towards some of the existing solutions using developing news or case scenarios to show them the worth of their knowledge when applied in a variety of common scenarios. I believe this is the best way to teach sciences as it keeps matters simple yet, as curiosity develops, more facts are given and a more robust reasoning takes place. This is my own personal approach developed after 3 years of teaching undergraduates in the classrooms, laboratories, and even during field expeditions.

As long as it is possible, I believe that a  personal connection with students is key for a rewarding learning experience. However, when dealing with large classes where a one on one interaction is not plausible, I strive to maintain succinct lectures while always taking into consideration the level of knowledge of my audience.

My teaching philosophy is thus a dynamic process where I take into consideration students' goals and adapt lectures to current case scenarios. I found out that this often leads to engaging and fruitful discussions that mix science, business, and politics both inside and outside the classrooms. I believe any discipline should be taught by a holistic approach switching between facts and application on an ongoing basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment